Welcome to Sussex Playwrights
Sir Peter Shaffer
Our purpose is to encourage new work from writers throughout the UK. Sussex just happens to be where we started in 1935. So, whether you’re an established writer or a complete beginner, Sussex Playwrights’ Club could be right for you.
Do you have a passion for plays? Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your play, explore a work-in-progress or listen to and discuss members' plays?
Meetings are held monthly on a Sunday evening at the New Venture Theatre, Bedford Place, Brighton BN1 2PT. Regular features include:
Readings of members' plays
By experienced actors from local drama groups and professionals. All members are encouraged to discuss the play constructively, and suggestions are made for improving, staging and marketing the play.
Develop your writing with valuable group and individual exercises.
Competitions for new plays
We'll be announcing our two new playwriting competitions for 2016 very shortly - watch this space and our Facebook Page for details
We run two nationwide competitions each year, and winning entries are read at meetings.
We've received several entries to the Sussex Playwrights Constance Cox Playwriting Competition 2016 already.
We invite you to submit a 30-minute radio drama in the thriller / mystery genre [it can be comedy, and it can have supernatural elements too]
First prize £150, Second prize £75, Third prize £50
All winners also receive: A rehearsed script-in-hand reading with a discussion before an audience of members, writers' family and friends, with the winners as special guests, a recording of your reading which will be podcast, and a prize certificate
Current Sussex Playwrights members receive one free entry each, with a
£7 fee for each additional entry. Non-members' entry fee: £7 per script.
The closing date for all entries is October 31st 2016 – Halloween
Full details, rules etc are available here.
Sussex Playwrights is a club for members and friends – and it's all about you.If you aren't able to come along on the 7th to talk about your latest news, please do email it to us to be included in the announcements and the next post-meeting newsletter.
Work in progress or for sharing
We're looking to members and guests to take part in meetings and showcase their work
- If you'd like to have actors read an excerpt from your latest script in progress for discussion [10 minute slot]
- If you'd like to read an excerpt from your latest fiction or non-fiction on the night [10 minute slot]
- If you'd prefer to have someone read it for you, if you're happier writing than speaking
Ideas for workshops
Are there any particular workshops you'd like to have as part of a meeting?
Suggestions so far include:
- Reading aloud to an audience - For authors, being able to deliver an excerpt from your poetry, fiction or non fiction to an audience can raise your profile and increase your sales
- Acting script-in-hand for beginners – being able to take a script and bring it to life with a group reading is a great skill for writers, and can help you appreciate what makes dialogue playable
- Crowd funding your writing – how writers can create their own fundraising project online to support themselves and their creative work.
Follow and share
Like' the Sussex Playwrights Facebook Page for the latest news and links
Follow us on Twitter @PlaywrightsClub
Contact us now if you're interested in writing plays or being one of our readers or simply enjoy talking about theatre. Membership costs £12.00 per calendar year. A concessionary fee of £6.00 is available for under-18s. Non-members are also welcome at a nominal £2.00 per meeting, if you would like to 'try us out' first.